Monday, March 9, 2015

Orientation

So, today it's on. I have officially changed my Linkedin profile, my Facebook profile and even took the bus in to the office early for my first day at the new job. I got in so early (well, I am taking public tranisit) that I had time to stop in to a local bagel place and grab a bite to eat, refill my coffee mug and bang out a post for the blog this morning. All before the sun even begins to peek over the horizon (thank you Daylight Saving Time)


What will the day hold for me? I'm guessing an endless parade of forms to be completed, a few stern words of warning reminding me that I am a public official and that everything I say or do is available for public scruitiny and maybe some information on where I can go work out (I hear the county has one great workout facility. Maybe that instead of a few slices of pizza for lunch).

Nearly two decades ago, Robert Fulghum wrote a small book called All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. It was a book that stripped all of our advanced knowledge down to its basics - that we needed to share more, fight less, be open to the magic of the world around us and take naps. I like that idea.

In much the same way, as a public information officer on his first day at a new employer, I believe all I am really going to need to know will be heard at orientation. Namely:
  • We are all the face of the organization out in the field, and we need to act accordingly. 
  • Turn to your supervisors to seek their wisdom and counsel. They have been promoted because of their expertise.
  • Don't say or do anything you don't want to read about in the newspaper.
  • Don't be afraid to ask why we are doing things the way we do. A fresh set of eyes may fix a nagging problem that has plagued us for years, or we may be doing something a certain way because that's how its always been done.
  • Get along with others, because we are all part of the same team.
Yeah, I have the feeling that today's going to be a great day.  But, just like my first day at Kindergarten, I am sure I will be looking forward to heading home on the bus tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment